A test session with the current kdevelop

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Oct 20 16:42:30 UTC 2006

On 20.10.06 10:28:51, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 17.10.06 18:05:23, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > That was just a guess, but it appears to be a problem on bluecurve, I've
> > never seen it with any style I used...
>
> Do you have the 'bluecurve' style?

No, else I would've said that ;) But I often try new styles that show up
in Debian unstable and from time to time seek on the kde-sites for
styles and try those out.

> >> This also doesn't address that we've lost dynamic resizing of the
> >> docking windows, which IMO is a step backwards.
> >
> > Could you elaborate (I never used kdevelop3.3 that much)?
>
> Sure. In ideal mode, resizing a docking pane is like resizing a window;
> as you resize it, it repaints itself. Simplified has that annoying 'drag
> this handle around and drop it somewhere, and then and ONLY then will we
> show you what happened'. That IMO is a step backward.

I do agree that the repaint-while-dragging is nicer, but it's also
slower eventually and the reason simplified doesn't have this is because
simplified doesn't try too many tricks for the ideal mode.

> Not to mention that the resize handles are about twice as big as the
> resizable borders in ideal (ok, so 8 pixels vs 4, but it still looks
> worse).

Aah, well I find the things in kmdi-ideal harder to get, i.e. I need to
"focus" to find properly click-hold them. Anyway that's just me having
bad eyes ;)

> *I'm* not asking for kmdi to improve, I haven't noticed (i.e. 'have not
> been negatively impacted by, enough to be noticeable) any problems with
> it. :-)

I have been, but it's some time ago and as I don't have any problems
with simple-ideal I never switched back... I think the most annoying bug
got fixed sometime, I don't remember which one that was - it had to do
with kmdi interferring with kwin...

You too can wear a nose mitten.