A test session with the current kdevelop

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke at tibco.com
Fri Oct 20 18:20:13 UTC 2006

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 20.10.06 10:28:51, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>> Could you elaborate (I never used kdevelop3.3 that much)?
>> Sure. In ideal mode, resizing a docking pane is like resizing a window;
>> as you resize it, it repaints itself. Simplified has that annoying 'drag
>> this handle around and drop it somewhere, and then and ONLY then will we
>> show you what happened'. That IMO is a step backward.
>
> I do agree that the repaint-while-dragging is nicer, but it's also
> slower eventually and the reason simplified doesn't have this is because
> simplified doesn't try too many tricks for the ideal mode.

...and that (along with Alexander's reply), I think, is getting to the
heart of the problem. 'Simplified' is trading features I never use and
don't care about for features I want, and that (for me, and for anyone
in the same situation) is a horrible trade-off. And the direction here
seems to be to take away the mode I like for a mode I don't, removing my
option.

(This is not directed at you, Andreas...)
I *really* want to see 'simplified' address these issues. If it can get
past the 'step backward' stage, I would be very supportive of it, but
until then, I hope you all can understand why I'm sticking with kmdi ideal.

--
Matthew
When on POSIX, do as POSIX mandates.