A test session with the current kdevelop

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke at tibco.com
Fri Oct 20 15:28:51 UTC 2006

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 17.10.06 18:05:23, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>> Hmm, nice shots, but this looks to be an issue with bluecurve. After all
>>> simple ideal uses other methods to create the tabs than ideal from kmdi
>>> and I guess bluecurve renders one different than the other. With
>>> lipstick I don't have so much space.
>> Well then this needs to be reassigned to whoever maintains bluecurve
>
> That was just a guess, but it appears to be a problem on bluecurve, I've
> never seen it with any style I used...

Do you have the 'bluecurve' style? It is Fedora-only (at least, it's an
an rpm 'redhat-artwork' and is in FC5 at least. I am going to try
upgrading to the FC5 version (I am FC4) and see if that helps; if not
maybe I will have a look at the source.

>> This also doesn't address that we've lost dynamic resizing of the
>> docking windows, which IMO is a step backwards.
>
> Could you elaborate (I never used kdevelop3.3 that much)?

Sure. In ideal mode, resizing a docking pane is like resizing a window;
as you resize it, it repaints itself. Simplified has that annoying 'drag
this handle around and drop it somewhere, and then and ONLY then will we
show you what happened'. That IMO is a step backward. Not to mention
that the resize handles are about twice as big as the resizable borders
in ideal (ok, so 8 pixels vs 4, but it still looks worse).

>>> Anyway, kmdi-support won't go in kdev3.4, it's just not the default
>>> anymore, which IMHO is good.
>> So what you are saying is I will be using 3.3.92 for a nice long time?
>> Or just that kmdi is not being improved?
>
> kmdi is kdelibs-Code and no it won't be improved as nobody wants to work
> on it. However kdevelop3.4 will ship with the "old" ideal mode, just
> that simple ideal is activated for new users.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Your wording can be (mis-)read as ideal being
totally ripped from kde-3.4-stable (which would cause me to not use it
and continue using 3.3.92). So I'm glad to hear that is not the case.

*I'm* not asking for kmdi to improve, I haven't noticed (i.e. 'have not
been negatively impacted by, enough to be noticeable) any problems with
it. :-)

--
Matthew
When on POSIX, do as POSIX mandates.