How can I make Kdevelop more useful for python?

Jens Dagerbo jens.dagerbo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 08:57:35 UTC 2006

On 11/15/06, Jakob Petsovits <jpetso at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 November 2006 01:26, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > 1) Can I hack the abbreviation feature under Configure Kdevelop to
> > function on .py files? If so, how?
>
> I'm not sufficiently knowledgable on that, please have someone else
> answer this question. Anyways, keep in mind that the KDevelop 3.4 feature
> freeze is already in effect, so any improvements on that part will have to
> go into KDevelop 4 (where Python is not yet supported at all).

That abbrev lacks support for languages we supposedly support is such
a glaring deficiency that it reasonably must be considered a bugfix to
solve.

The code in question is all in branches/kdevelop/3.4/parts/abbrev/

The approach in abbrev sort of runs contrary to the design of
KDevelop, where typically language dependent features are centralized
to a dedicated language support plugin. Abbrev on the other hand,
IIRC, suggests abbreviations based on file suffixes.

I haven't looked at the code recently, but adding .py or, better,
adding some support for letting the user register file categories
based on filename patterns is probably reasonably straight forward to
add.

Though the latter could be argued to be a new feature..

// jens