How can I make Kdevelop more useful for python?

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Wed Nov 15 08:34:34 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 01:26, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> 1) Can I hack the abbreviation feature under Configure Kdevelop to
> function on .py files? If so, how?

I'm not sufficiently knowledgable on that, please have someone else
answer this question. Anyways, keep in mind that the KDevelop 3.4 feature
freeze is already in effect, so any improvements on that part will have to
go into KDevelop 4 (where Python is not yet supported at all).

> 2) Has there been any developments on code completion for python? The
> project browser shows available classes and functions, so I imagine some
> parsing is there already.

No, there hasn't yet been an attempt to get Python code completion working.
It should be possible to get it working by either porting the KDevelop 3.4
Python language support to KDevelop 4 and then taking Hamish's C++ code
completion method to the ported plugin. Another possibility is to rework
the Python parser so that it uses the "new" kdevelop-pg parser generator,
and build the plugin from scratch on top of that.

Either way, proper Python support is a major undertaking, even more so we
appreciate your help with this.

Sincerely,
  Jakob