SVN plugin

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Tue Nov 7 13:42:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 09:18:17AM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 November 2006 09:11, Matt Rogers wrote:

> > > FWIW, I have a student, Alexander Lyubitskiy, that is working on SVN GUI
> > > frontend, and there are plans to eventually make a KDevelop (4) plugin
> > > out of it.
> > >
> > > One important goal is to simplify handling of diffs and commits. For
> > > example, commit should pop up a window with entire diff where you can
> > > specify comments for individual changes, and exclude specific changes
> > > from commit, without going to other windows or manually reverting
> > > changes.
> > >
> > > Long-term plans include support for local history, and UI for merging
> > > changes between branches.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what's the right approach for cooperation would be -- for
> > > now, this project is completely standalone, and not ready for practical
> > > use. Maybe a Wiki with ideas would be good?
> > >
> > > - Volodya
> >
> > I don't think a GUI frontend for SVN matters for us unless there's going to
> > be an api provided for it that we can use in KDevelop.
>
> Have you missed the
>
>     make a KDevelop (4) plugin out of it.
>
> part in my email. I certainly don't propose to launch a separate program from
> KDevelop ;-)

Yes, I read that, but there are apparently different variations of what
the phrase "make a KDevelop plugin out of it" mean. And what I mean is
that for KDevelop we need to be able to define our own UI within the IDE
for subversion rather than attempting to graft another program's UI onto
ours.

> > I'd like to see some
> > tighter integration with source control in KDevelop 4 compared to the 3.x
> > series
>
> Certainly.
>
> > and I guess I need to organize my thoughts on that subject and put
> > them on the KDevelop wiki.
>
> Ok, great.
>
> - Volodya

Thanks