KDevelop4 project file

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Thu Jul 20 20:06:06 UTC 2006

On Thursday 20 July 2006 2:06 pm, mwoehlke wrote:
> Adam Treat wrote:
> >>
> >> I can already imagine the headache this is going to create. "Oh, but I
> >> wanted that setting to apply to ALL projects! You mean I have to close
> >> my active project, make the change, and then wait five minutes while my
> >> project re-opens?". It seems like we need to provide a way for the
> >> configure dialog to let us pick to apply settings to the project, or
> >> globally.
> >
> > That was an alternative, but mattr and I talked about it and thought it'd
> > be obvious if the top-level menu item changes from 'configure->kdevelop'
> > to 'configure->project' when a project is opened.  Obviously, if it says
> > 'configure->project' it will only relate to that project.
>
> IOW if I want to make a global change, I have to wait five minutes for
> me project to re-load? That hardly seems productive. I don't see how
> this is an improvement, and it is likely to make it irritating to change
> things that the user wants to be set globally.

If it takes you 5 minutes to load a project in kdevelop4 then we have not done
our jobs correctly.  That would speak to a larger issue.

As far as it goes, I'd like to keep it as is for now and see how far we get.
If it becomes an issue and users are screaming after actually having used it
(as opposed to hypothetical screaming based on how annoying it is _imagined_
to be), then we can change it.

Personally, I don't think this will be an issue.  You won't be editing your
global settings constantly.   And if you do, just do it on startup.

Can we please delay talking about this problem until it becomes apparent that
it IS a problem?

> Btw, how does this interact with, say, KATE's settings? Are those (at
> least the ones that have historically been per-app) now per-project as
> well?

Well, I haven't gotten that far, but I believe that Kate's settings will be
saved to the project too if a project is open.

Adam