KDevelop4 project file

mwoehlke mwoehlke at tibco.com
Thu Jul 20 23:03:47 UTC 2006

Adam Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 20 July 2006 2:06 pm, mwoehlke wrote:
> If it takes you 5 minutes to load a project in kdevelop4 then we have not done
> our jobs correctly.  That would speak to a larger issue.

Well, it definitely takes "a while". It *is* a very large project,
however, with a couple thousand files in it. Maybe things are better
since 3.2.3? As often as I start KDevelop (a few times a month,
usually), I'm not really concerned about it; I just hope you can
understand why I am concerned with the possibility of having to do it
more often.

> As far as it goes, I'd like to keep it as is for now and see how far we get.
> If it becomes an issue and users are screaming after actually having used it
> (as opposed to hypothetical screaming based on how annoying it is _imagined_
> to be), then we can change it.

Well... I voted for Andreas' suggestions about four levels up in the
thread. :-) It doesn't seem like it should be hard (especially not if
done right the first time), and I don't seem to be the only one voting
for it.

> Well, I haven't gotten that far, but I believe that Kate's settings will be
> saved to the project too if a project is open.

I can promise you right now that if "KATE's settings" goes so far as
including the colors used by highlighters, I *will* be annoyed. :-) I
tend to make my own highlighters on occasion, and it's bad enough having
to effectively restart to pick up changes to a syntax .xml (not always,
but it can be; anyway, that's KATE's fault). If I have to remember to
close a project any time I want to tinker with my colors, it will be
unfortunate. Plus I think that much control is ridiculous. Better to
just make the schema per-project. IOW, I think I'm just suggesting
"don't do that" with the highlight colors.

Now, OTHER things like indent settings (and FILE TYPES! Can anyone say
'different syntax highlighters per project'?) would be a GOOD idea, not
a bad one. :-) Especially as I already juggle a main project with a
different indent width than I prefer for anything else I work on.

--
Matthew
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad... You must be, or you wouldn't