Terminology: "watches" and "watchpoints"

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Wed Jan 25 06:00:09 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 23:19, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Hi!
> The debugger now uses "watches" to refer to expressions that are
> recalculated on every step, and "watchpoints" to refer to breakpoints on
> data write/read. The use of "watch" in both words seems pretty confusing to
> me, as it implies close relation, while there's none. Recently, I've run
> KDevelop in Russian locale, and after translation the terms become even
> more confusing.
>
> Can anybody suggest a way how those can be renamed? Any ideas are welcome.

I agree with the other suggestion that these are common terms; however if less
ambiguous terms were preferred, then instead of "Watches" we could have
"Watched expressions", and for "Watchpoints" we could have "Value triggered
breaks".

However, for the problem of confusing translations, it would be best to use
the following i18n form

QString i18n (const char *comment, const char *text)

ie.

i18n("Expressions recalculated with each pause in program execution",
"Watches");

to let the translators know which meaning of the term is intended.

Cheers,
Hamish.