Terminology: "watches" and "watchpoints"

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at gmx.de
Wed Jan 25 01:09:09 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 15:31, Kuba Ober wrote:
> > The debugger now uses "watches" to refer to expressions that are
> > recalculated on every step, and "watchpoints" to refer to breakpoints on
> > data write/read. The use of "watch" in both words seems pretty confusing
> > to me, as it implies close relation, while there's none. Recently, I've
> > run KDevelop in Russian locale, and after translation the terms become
> > even more confusing.
>
> I believe those English terms are widely used. Better not reinvent the
> wheel.

I entirely agree with Vladimir, I'm completely confused by the current names
and always first press the wrong button. 'Display' is also not intuitive, but
much better than just 'watch' and 'watchpoint'.

Btw, in previous version there was no 'watchpoint', but now 'watchpoint' has
even become the default on entering a variable and just pressing <enter>.
Could this please be switched back to 'watch'?

Cheers,
        Bernd