Terminology: "watches" and "watchpoints"

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Jan 24 23:06:06 UTC 2006

> > > The debugger now uses "watches" to refer to expressions that are
> > > recalculated on every step, and "watchpoints" to refer to breakpoints
> > > on data write/read. The use of "watch" in both words seems pretty
> > > confusing to me, as it implies close relation, while there's none.
> > > Recently, I've run KDevelop in Russian locale, and after translation
> > > the terms become even more confusing.
> >
> > I believe those English terms are widely used. Better not reinvent the
> > wheel.
>
> "Watch" is already a wheel reinvention -- in gdb that's called "display".
> The same term is used in DDD.

DDD just inherited it from gdb.

All commercial IDEs that I've seen use the terms watch and watchpoint. I think
that turbo debugger didn't use that term, they just had breakpoints on
various conditions that included changing of a memory location.

While gdb is a mainstream machine debugger in the free software world, there
are quite a few people doing professional software development that never
heard of gdb :)

Watch and watchpoint are not terms that some kdevelop developer just came up
with ;)

Cheers, Kuba