Project config and KMessageBox' dontAskAgainName

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Fri Jan 20 13:37:04 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 22:09, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> > > I think I more agree with Jens' reasoning -- that one time you'll want
> > > to rebuild, and another time you won't.
> >
> > Sure, there will be times when you want each behaviour.  However, my
> > experience with the option for running is that I only disable automatic
> > build for running in rare circumstances (which is easy enough to do when
> > it happens).  Additionally, I find that with the debugger, I often only
> > run debug when I notice a bug in the normal mode, and at this point I
> > already have the build complete.  If I make a change and run the debugger
> > again, I'll want to have the build run again.
>
> So, your argument is that automatic rebuild is the prevalent use case, and
> so should not involve any dialogs?

For the run command I'd say it is, and I think it should be so for the
debugger too.

(Note: I'm quite accustomed to the debugger not building my app, and in fact I
have to remember to install for the app I most hack on (kate).  So, although
I would disable automatic rebuild for my katepart project, I think I would
leave it on for other projects where installation was not required before
execution.)

> > Also, isn't it the case that it's not trivial for you to detect when
> > something has changed?  I'm not aware that our build system knows about
> > this.
>
> It's not trivial without running the underlying build tool, so we can only
> approximate.

If you're going to add this feature I think you should just run the make
command whenever it's indicated, regardless of detecting changes or not.  It
would be difficult enough to emulate in in the build plugin, let alone the
debugger.  For most smaller projects a redundant make command is pretty quick
to execute.

> Speaking of which: now the "Execute" command will unconditionally save all
> files modified in the editor. Is that the desired behaviour, even when
> automatic rebuild is set to false?

Good point; probably not, although I guess the user may be editing a runtime
dependancy like an xml file and may want that saved automatically.  I'd say
either let it be or introduce an auto-save on run config option, defaulting
to true, widget disabled when auto rebuild is on.

Cheers,
Hamish.