Project config and KMessageBox' dontAskAgainName

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Fri Jan 20 12:10:09 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 13:48, Hamish Rodda wrote:

> > > I think in this instance you should do what the build tool does - make
> > > automatic rebuild on run (or debug in this case) configurable on/off,
> > > and don't prompt the user - just do what the config says.  In fact, it
> > > would make sense to just reuse this configuration.
> >
> > I think I more agree with Jens' reasoning -- that one time you'll want to
> > rebuild, and another time you won't.
>
> Sure, there will be times when you want each behaviour.  However, my
> experience with the option for running is that I only disable automatic
> build for running in rare circumstances (which is easy enough to do when it
> happens).  Additionally, I find that with the debugger, I often only run
> debug when I notice a bug in the normal mode, and at this point I already
> have the build complete.  If I make a change and run the debugger again,
> I'll want to have the build run again.

So, your argument is that automatic rebuild is the prevalent use case, and so
should not involve any dialogs?

> Also, isn't it the case that it's not trivial for you to detect when
> something has changed?  I'm not aware that our build system knows about
> this.

It's not trivial without running the underlying build tool, so we can only
approximate.

Speaking of which: now the "Execute" command will unconditionally save all
files modified in the editor. Is that the desired behaviour, even when
automatic rebuild is set to false?

> I'm just saying that personally the extra dialog would just get in the way,
> and it would be more robust to handle it as we already do for the run app
> command (which surely is used more often than debug by most people, and I
> am unaware of any complaints about it).

Good point.

- Volodya