Project config and KMessageBox' dontAskAgainName

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Fri Jan 20 11:50:10 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 18:46, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Friday 20 January 2006 03:27, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmm... on a second though that seems reasonable. I'll remove this
> > > "Don't ask again" checkbox unless somebody has better ideas. (And wait
> > > for users to complain ;-) )
> >
> > I think in this instance you should do what the build tool does - make
> > automatic rebuild on run (or debug in this case) configurable on/off, and
> > don't prompt the user - just do what the config says.  In fact, it would
> > make sense to just reuse this configuration.
>
> I think I more agree with Jens' reasoning -- that one time you'll want to
> rebuild, and another time you won't.

Sure, there will be times when you want each behaviour.  However, my
experience with the option for running is that I only disable automatic build
for running in rare circumstances (which is easy enough to do when it
happens).  Additionally, I find that with the debugger, I often only run
debug when I notice a bug in the normal mode, and at this point I already
have the build complete.  If I make a change and run the debugger again, I'll
want to have the build run again.

Also, isn't it the case that it's not trivial for you to detect when something
has changed?  I'm not aware that our build system knows about this.

I'm just saying that personally the extra dialog would just get in the way,
and it would be more robust to handle it as we already do for the run app
command (which surely is used more often than debug by most people, and I am
unaware of any complaints about it).

Cheers,
Hamish.