The "scripts" menu

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Fri Feb 17 09:24:05 UTC 2006

Hello!

Some time ago I've raised a question about usefullness of the "Scripts" menu
item to a fresh used. See:

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.kdevelop/14764

To quote:

   For a freshly build
   kdelibs/kdebase/kdevelop that menu is empty, and the KDevelop installed
   from  Debian package has a "Test script" entry which replaces the window
   content with output of "ls".

   The UI does not make it clear how one edits those scripts, and that "ls"
   script is hardly useful. As it stands, this menu item can only
   confuse users.

Month later, the situation is the same. I've found a configuration option
where I can add extra script paths, but no docs how to write new scripts,
and no way to a KDevelop user to easily create a script.

Also note that on my system, there's just one KPart with ServiceType
'KScriptRunner/KScriptRunner', and that runs bash scripts, which is pretty
limiting.

I really do think that scripting or some extension mechanism is very needed,
but this one is just not polished yet, and users, after looking at it,
users might never come back.

So: will anybody object if I either:

  - Remove the scripting support from KDevelop 3.4 branch.
  - Somehow arrange for scripting plugin to be disabled by default

Thanks,
Volodya