The "scripts" menu

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 10:54:05 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 February 2006 08:23, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Some time ago I've raised a question about usefullness of the "Scripts"
> menu item to a fresh used. See:
>
>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.kdevelop/14764
>
> To quote:
>
>    For a freshly build
>    kdelibs/kdebase/kdevelop that menu is empty, and the KDevelop installed
>    from  Debian package has a "Test script" entry which replaces the window
>    content with output of "ls".
>
>    The UI does not make it clear how one edits those scripts, and that "ls"
>    script is hardly useful. As it stands, this menu item can only
>    confuse users.
>
> Month later, the situation is the same. I've found a configuration option
> where I can add extra script paths, but no docs how to write new scripts,
> and no way to a KDevelop user to easily create a script.
>
> Also note that on my system, there's just one KPart with ServiceType
> 'KScriptRunner/KScriptRunner', and that runs bash scripts, which is pretty
> limiting.
>
> I really do think that scripting or some extension mechanism is very
> needed, but this one is just not polished yet, and users, after looking at
> it, users might never come back.
>
> So: will anybody object if I either:
>
>   - Remove the scripting support from KDevelop 3.4 branch.
>   - Somehow arrange for scripting plugin to be disabled by default
I think we should get it working and add a few more scripts, not just remove
it. The NeXT Edit app had a feature where you could pipe the current
selection through a unix command and that was very useful indeed. For
instance, select a list of words and pipe them through 'sort -u', and the
output would replace the selection. Of course it's very important to have
'undo' for when you screw up, but we have that.

-- Richard