Defining the KDevelop Platform - remote debugging

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Fri Apr 7 07:58:03 UTC 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 01:19, Roger Larsson wrote:
> On torsdag 06 april 2006 22.32, Alexander Neundorf wrote: [edited]
>
> > -good support for remote debugging (just work to do, no hard problems to
> > solve)
> > -support for custom debuggers, like lauterbach and others
>
> Has the debugger architecture been redesigned yet?
> Earlier versions were very too closely connected with 'C' and 'C++'

I don't have any short-term plans to make debugger really language asnostic.
Read: no Python debugger until KDevelop4 for sure.

> One problem with remote debugging is that there are so many ways
> to do it...
>
> How to transfer the executable to target?
> 	NFS mapped filesystem,
> 	rcp, scp, kermit, ...
> How to start executable?
> 	rsh command
> 	kermit
> How to connect debugger with executable?
> 	gdbserver using serial, tcpip, ...
> 	emulator
> 	simulator
> How to map files target - host for display of current line?
> 	sed like processing?
> 	require target to map full filesystem
>
> With a nice architecture here it should be possible to add nice remote
> debugging - how does Eclipse do this?

Those all are good question, and if you have practical experience with remote
debugging I'd be interested to know how *you* do it today (inside KDevelop or
outside).

However, this is mostly debugger part issue, not platform issue.

- Volodya