Defining the KDevelop Platform

Alexander Dymo dymo at mk.ukrtelecom.ua
Thu Apr 6 23:04:06 UTC 2006

Ok, one by one.

On Thursday 06 April 2006 17:09, Matt Rogers wrote:
> IMHO, We need to answer the following questions about the KDevelop platform
> in concrete terms. Right now, we don't really have a clear cut idea of what
> the platform actually is. In order to move forward with the idea of the
> platform, i think we need to give it a bit of formal definition.
>
> 1. What will the platform encompass? (don't just say the current
> kdevelop lib dir)
All stuff necessary to build and run common plugins (interfaces, support
libs, shell to load a plugin, profile engine).

> 2. What should the platform be used for?
Quanta, KDevAssistant, specialized (commercial?) IDEs

> 3. What can developers who want to use the platform do with it?
Use the plugin framework to easily build plugins and easily reuse existing
plugins to combine their own applications.

> 4. Why should developers use the platform?
> 5. What advantages would the platform give them?
Development speed and more ways to reuse existing functionality (software).

> 6. What's in it for us?
PR, more developers, well-defined, well-tested architecture.