Defining the KDevelop Platform - remote debugging

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 23:47:07 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 22:19, Roger Larsson wrote:
> On torsdag 06 april 2006 22.32, Alexander Neundorf wrote: [edited]
>
> > -good support for remote debugging (just work to do, no hard problems to
> > solve)
> > -support for custom debuggers, like lauterbach and others
>
> Has the debugger architecture been redesigned yet?
> Earlier versions were very too closely connected with 'C' and 'C++'
I found it quite easy to fit the ruby debugger into kdevelop, which was based
to the C++ debugger code. It communicates via a Unix domain socket, so it
wouldn't be too difficult to change to use a tcp socket to do debugging on
another machine. It could be refactored so we could share more code amongst
different debuggers perhaps. I don't think it's worth designed a language
independent protocol for remote debugging like Komodo uses - that would be
more trouble than it's worth.

-- Richard