Defining the KDevelop Platform - remote debugging

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Thu Apr 6 23:21:10 UTC 2006

On torsdag 06 april 2006 22.32, Alexander Neundorf wrote: [edited]
> -good support for remote debugging (just work to do, no hard problems to
> solve)
> -support for custom debuggers, like lauterbach and others
Has the debugger architecture been redesigned yet?
Earlier versions were very too closely connected with 'C' and 'C++'

One problem with remote debugging is that there are so many ways
to do it...

How to transfer the executable to target?
	NFS mapped filesystem,
	rcp, scp, kermit, ...
How to start executable?
	rsh command
	kermit
How to connect debugger with executable?
	gdbserver using serial, tcpip, ...
	emulator
	simulator
How to map files target - host for display of current line?
	sed like processing?
	require target to map full filesystem

With a nice architecture here it should be possible to add nice remote
debugging - how does Eclipse do this?

/RogerL

From: Matt Rogers <mattr at kde.org>
To: kdevelop-devel at kdevelop.org
Subject: Re: Defining the KDevelop Platform
Sender: kdevelop-devel-admin at barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de
Date: Thu Apr  6 23:31:11 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 12:04:01AM +0300, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> Ok, one by one.
>
> On Thursday 06 April 2006 17:09, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > IMHO, We need to answer the following questions about the KDevelop platform
> > in concrete terms. Right now, we don't really have a clear cut idea of what
> > the platform actually is. In order to move forward with the idea of the
> > platform, i think we need to give it a bit of formal definition.
> >
> > 1. What will the platform encompass? (don't just say the current
> > kdevelop lib dir)
> All stuff necessary to build and run common plugins (interfaces, support
> libs, shell to load a plugin, profile engine).
>
> > 2. What should the platform be used for?
> Quanta, KDevAssistant, specialized (commercial?) IDEs
>
> > 3. What can developers who want to use the platform do with it?
> Use the plugin framework to easily build plugins and easily reuse existing
> plugins to combine their own applications.
>
> > 4. Why should developers use the platform?
> > 5. What advantages would the platform give them?
> Development speed and more ways to reuse existing functionality (software).
>
> > 6. What's in it for us?
> PR, more developers, well-defined, well-tested architecture.

Exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks! :)
--
Matt