Fwd: New project wizard template

Alexander Dymo adymo at mksat.net
Sun Mar 6 22:35:06 UTC 2005

I've received this letter today and I'd like to know your opinion.
The letter is about using common format for application templates
for KDevelop and Anjuta IDEs.

Subject: New project wizard template
Date: Sunday 06 March 2005 19:28
From: Sébastien Granjoux <seb.sfo at free.fr>
To: Alexander Dymo <adymo at mksat.net>

Hi Alexander,

The new project wizard plugin in anjuta is working. Now, I think the
most useful missing feature is to use a standard project template format.

There are different levels of "standard". The first one is to decide
that the current format is standard and try to keep some backward
compatibility in the future. But I think it's better to go further and
at least describe this format to allow user to write new project
template for anjuta. I have already written a first documentation, it's
probably not enough but I don't know if lots of people will really write
such templates. Then, one additional step is to share this template
format with other application to get a bigger base of users who can
write templates.

I would like to see if it's possible to share a common template format
between anjuta and kdevelop. I expect this to be a very difficult task
but I think it's useful and interesting. I propose this to you because
we have already discussed about this. But perhaps some other people need
to be involved on kdevelop side. On anjuta side, obviously I will ask
Naba before making big changes.

I send you a short description of the current template format used in
anjuta. You can see example in the anjuta cvs tree. It's just a start, I
don't expect that you implement this in kdevelop (it will be too easy

:)). I plan to accept big changes, by example replace the xml like

format or replace autogen but we need good reasons to do them. Some
other things could be added easily by example add a screenshot element
in the header block.

Regards,

Sébastien

PS: Sebastien didn't stress the fact that we could get more testers of
application templates in case the same templates are used in both KDevelop
and Anjuta.

PPS: I like the idea of using xml format for templates because I can't stand
reading "human-readable" ini files like we have now ;) but autogen usage
is still questionable for me.

--
Alexander Dymo
ICST Department, National University of Shipbuilding, Mykolayiv, Ukraine