New parser branch (Was: Dumping the source DOM?)

Steven T. Hatton hattons at globalsymmetry.com
Thu Jul 14 18:20:09 UTC 2005

On Thursday 14 July 2005 01:34, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 23:05, Daniel Franke wrote:
> > as I understand it: code-refactoring is a buzzword for
> > search-and-replace?!
>
> What I want, for example, is: rename a virtual method in a base class, and
> have methods in all derived clases in the entire project automatically
> renamed. That's extra boring to do manual, and if you miss a function,
> you've got a problem. (And don't tell me about -Woverloaded-virtual -- it
> gives spurious warnings in some cases).

I would also be nice to have an indicator that shows which functions in the
baseclass are virtual.  Another indicator could show whether the function in
the derived class is actually overriding a virtual function.  A tool to
create a skeleton implementation of a pure virtual interface could likewise
be useful.

Just the ability to modify the function declaration (or definition) in an
existing class, and have the changes reflected in the corresponding
definition (or declaration) would be nice.  It might also be possible to
merge or split a function definition so that one that is defined in the body
of a class definition could be split into a declaration in the header, and a
definition in the implementation file.  Keeping comments synchronized with
the source code could also be helpful.  There are many, many possibilities.

--
Regards,
Steven