New parser branch (Was: Dumping the source DOM?)

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Fri Jul 15 07:30:09 UTC 2005

On Thursday 14 July 2005 20:19, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> On Thursday 14 July 2005 01:34, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 July 2005 23:05, Daniel Franke wrote:
> > > as I understand it: code-refactoring is a buzzword for
> > > search-and-replace?!
> Just the ability to modify the function declaration (or definition) in an
> existing class, and have the changes reflected in the corresponding
> definition (or declaration) would be nice.  It might also be possible to
> merge or split a function definition so that one that is defined in the
> body of a class definition could be split into a declaration in the header,
> and a definition in the implementation file.  Keeping comments synchronized
> with the source code could also be helpful.  There are many, many
> possibilities.

As soon as we're in "would be nice to have" mode, one of the most important
refactoring is "extract method" -- you have a large function and extract some
portion of it into a separate function (passing all the local variables used
in that block) as parameters. Would be extra handy when working on existing
code with 200-line functions. This refactoring alone would be a great
increase in productivity.

- Volodya