New parser branch (Was: Dumping the source DOM?)

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Thu Jul 14 07:35:08 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 23:05, Daniel Franke wrote:

> as I understand it: code-refactoring is a buzzword for search-and-replace?!

What I want, for example, is: rename a virtual method in a base class, and
have methods in all derived clases in the entire project automatically
renamed. That's extra boring to do manual, and if you miss a function, you've
got a problem. (And don't tell me about -Woverloaded-virtual -- it gives
spurious warnings in some cases).

> From my user's point of view: I KNOW my funtions, I KNOW the libraries I
> use, I KNOW what I've written before. If there are any typos (e. g. a
> missing ';'), my compiler will tell me, there's no need that the IDE does.

In that case, you don't need any smart IDE. However, in cases where I work on
a large codebase I don't know, some help from IDE is desired.

- Volodya