KDevelop 3.1 - features in progress

Sascha Cunz scunz at ng-projekt.de
Wed May 26 23:10:05 UTC 2004

Hi Jens,
> OK, unless I've forgotten something (very likely), this is the list of
> reported features-in-progress, based on the feedback I got. I've only
> included things that could reasonably be regarded at "features" in this
> list, not stuff that can be fixed past the feature freeze.
>
> I'll make some educated guesses about completion status of these entries
> and add them to the kde-features.xml document in cvs. Any input is welcome,
> such as updated status or changed descriptions. :)

Yeah, trying to do tell about what still needs to be done for appwizard to
work. Decide yourself what parts of it is worth to be put into feature plan.

> Also, should we also insert other new 3.1 features that are already
> finished? Is anyone keeping track? :)

New things from my side:
  - KDevLicense from my side.
  - An PHPSupport crash with very ugly semantics. I'm acutally not sure, if
    this was fault of one of my commits or adymo's. But Open PHP-Project and
    then close it. It will crash while deleting a pointer. I have neither a
    clue why nor how this happens.

Other things that where changed and i do remember off the top:
  - Copy/Paste in Kate context menu (Jens)
  - Favourites in appwizard (Paul)
  - KMdi Configuration stuff (Jens)
  - Code Snippets (was noone of the team, right?)
  - File List Plugin (Jens?)
  - There was something about the variable-watches?

> New project template mechanism / Improved Appwizard
> - Ian Reinhart Geiser <ian at geiseri.com>, Sascha Cunz <scunz at ng-projekt.de>

Much work of this is already done. So it is definitive "In Progress" :)

What is still left open (This is the things, we currently know that have to
be done ):

  Ian Reinhart Geiser
    - internal support to substitute %{i18n} with "i18n" ( removes several
      messages in app templates from kdevelop's i18n)
    - take care of marco substitution in XML files ( i.e. entity
      substitution ). I will assist here as much as i can - think i have
      worked with xml more :-)
    - delayed loading of .kdevtemplate files. ( not all at opening of
      appwizzard)
    - recursively proccess .kdevtemplate files ( Type=Include )
    - make XXX case-insensitive in "Type=XXX"
  Most of this is likely to be in cvs before feature freeze.

  Sascha Cunz:
    - Move all .ini-style files for appwizard to "xxx.kdevtemplate"
      naming convention.
    - Use $(GZIP) instead of "gzip" throughout all .kdevtemplate files
    - Run my kdevelop.pm replacement on all templates, test and commit
      the results.
    - Open Project after creation
    - Store property map in DOM
    - Make template substitution the same all through kdevelop. This means:
       * port lib/util/filetemplate.cpp|h to use %{XXX} with KMacroExpander
       * port file-create to use the property map from the DOM
       * port cpp class generator to KMacroExpander Style
       * port php class generator to KMacroExpander Style
       * port all templates to KMacroExpander Style
    - Remove stuff in AutoProject that uses FileTemplate but cannot be
      triggered via UI.
  Most of this stuff depends on when Ian is done with Type=Include and
  the XML care-taking.

  Not yet figured who will do it:
    - Use KNewStuff to fetch template updates
    - Create .kdevtemplate files for stuff in appwizard/template-common

Additionaly, i am currently working on:
  - Trying to beautify the NewFile part a bit
  - Make "file_new" action a KToolBarPopupMenu

Cheers Sascha