New Template System

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 04:12:06 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 07:26 pm, Sascha Cunz wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> > One thing i noticed as we are porting these scripts...  there are some
> > redundant entries, like the install GNU, docs, autobreak etc...
> >
> > I wonder if the concept of includes wouldnt be a good idea.  The old perl
> > method sucked because it was hard to add new targets.  If we can have the
> > concept of includes here we might allow templates to be simplified
> > greatly.
> >
> > What is the opinion of adding a target as follows:
> > [GNU]
> > Type= include
> > File=%{kdevelop}/template-common/gnu.kdevtemplate
> >
> > This would include the data from the File option and allow us to remove
> > more redundant data since ideally if we make this smart enough we can
> > have a hierarchy of template includes to make things like KDE apps in
> > particular less verbose.
>
> While writing the perl script for converting the perl stuff to the
> new .kdevtemplate format, this was exactly the point where i forced myself
> to sleep yesterday ( after a total of 23 hours of programming).

gotta love perl ;)

> Well, i vote strongly for doing it that way. It was included in my initial
> thoughts, but i had totally forgotten, that we would need this.
I think this was brought up in passing, but I think it was one of those things
where we wanted to just get the basics working.

> Can anybody think of things we might still have forgotten? Or might be nice
> to have in 3.1?

I am sure as we port more templates we will refine out goals.  I know the
knewstuff is important and should be addressed in a few days.

> P.S.:
> I start believing that all this appwizard changes (including template
> porting) won't be done this week. So we definitely should add it to the
> feature-plan for kde3.3!
Regardless this should probably get in the feature plan so we can get credits
for it in the changelog.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser
--
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.