New Template System

Sascha Cunz scunz at ng-projekt.de
Wed May 26 01:19:02 UTC 2004

Hi Ian,
> One thing i noticed as we are porting these scripts...  there are some
> redundant entries, like the install GNU, docs, autobreak etc...
>
> I wonder if the concept of includes wouldnt be a good idea.  The old perl
> method sucked because it was hard to add new targets.  If we can have the
> concept of includes here we might allow templates to be simplified greatly.
>
> What is the opinion of adding a target as follows:
> [GNU]
> Type= include
> File=%{kdevelop}/template-common/gnu.kdevtemplate
>
> This would include the data from the File option and allow us to remove
> more redundant data since ideally if we make this smart enough we can have
> a hierarchy of template includes to make things like KDE apps in particular
> less verbose.

While writing the perl script for converting the perl stuff to the
new .kdevtemplate format, this was exactly the point where i forced myself to
sleep yesterday ( after a total of 23 hours of programming).

Well, i vote strongly for doing it that way. It was included in my initial
thoughts, but i had totally forgotten, that we would need this.

Can anybody think of things we might still have forgotten? Or might be nice to
have in 3.1?

P.S.:
I start believing that all this appwizard changes (including template porting)
won't be done this week. So we definitely should add it to the feature-plan
for kde3.3!

Cheers Sascha