Gideon cvs 28/3/2003. Fortran mode and Project notion

Daniel Tourde daniel.tourde at bredband.net
Sat Mar 29 23:19:02 UTC 2003

Hello Amilcar,

Thanks for your answer. I have few questions still regarding your
answers.

> >- To open a project: When I use the menu "open project", I need to find
> >the xxx.kdevelop file by myself, by digging into the project directory.
> >This is something that caused me troubles. At the beginning I thought
> >that to specify the project's directory was sufficient, that Gideon
> >would by itself look inside the directory to find the file it was
> >needing.
> >
> It can not do that, what if you had more than one .kdevelop file in the
> directory, which one would it choose?

Is it possible to have several .kdevelop file within a single project
directory?
What's the use of this? I thought it was one .kdevelop file per project.

> The solution is that you have to do it by hand. Besides that if you had
> a look at the dialog you
>  would see that in the file filter, tha dialog is looking for *.kdevelop
> files and not directories.

I saw that but somehow it did not ring a bell to me. I know, this sounds
weird, but that's the way things happened.
I saw my project directories and for me that was enough. I clicked on
the directory considering that it was the project by itself. After few
unsuccessful iterations I realized that I have to open these directories
and search the .kdevelop file. As I said, I am surprised to learn that
it's possible to have several .kdevelop within a project directory.

> The interface man-machine is correct and explict.

Well, as a newbye it confused me...

> >2) Fortran mode
> >- When looking on the source tree, I clicked on the test.f file (my
> >fortran "hello" program), no editor opened automatically. When I clicked
> >a menu came where I had to choose by myself a program to use to open the
> >file within a list of KDE applications. Well, I just wanted to open the
> >file in the big area reserved for this on the right part of the gideon
> >window... Nothing more...
> >- I tried the same with a C++ project and the file opened but on the
> >lower part of the gideon window, not on the big area dedicated to this
> >on the right.
> >
> >In any cases, I wonder if what I am seeing now is not a bug. In the
> >previous releases of Kdevelop, the file where always opened correctly in
> >an editor placed on the largest free area (on the right) of Kdevelop.
> >

> No, it's not a kdevelop bug, it's a KDE bug, KDE doesn't know what .f,
> .f77, .for, .ftn ... are,
> so you need to explain KDE that these files are  "text/x-fortran" like
> Roberto said.

Wouldn't it be possible to Kdevelop to check such things and then to
present a window asking the user if he wants to associate the .f file to
any particular editor and this, in a comprehensive way?
I did not understand what happened and I was far away to make the
connection with KControl / File Associations and the mimetype
"text/x-fortran".
As I wrote, I had also troubles with C++ files. I did not open any
editor in the large area dedicated to it. I wonder then if this is not a
bug.

> Then KDE will know that they can be opened in a normal text editor, and
> gess what,
> kdevelop is a text editor :)

What do you mean? Does it use an external editor or does it contain its
own? If it contains its own editor, why then not associate the .f format
to it temporarily?

> Hope this helps you, if you find any other bug or have more questions,
> don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks... As you see, I did.... :)

Daniel