Gideon cvs 28/3/2003. Fortran mode and Project notion

Amilcar do Carmo Lucas amilcar at ida.ing.tu-bs.de
Sat Mar 29 15:46:02 UTC 2003

Daniel Tourde wrote:

>Hello,
>
>About two weeks ago I sent an email expressing my hope to see a Fortran
>mode in Gideon and my wishes came true... Thanks a lot.
>
>Yesterday (28/3/2003) I decided to give it a try on my RH8 machine. I
>downloaded the CVS and I built the package with the .spec file from Bero
>(Ark Linux)
>I tried to build up and try a Fortran project. It has been fairly
>successful but there remains some problems.
>
>These problems are in fact not only related to Fortran, I also noticed
>them when I tried a C++ project.
>
>1) Projects:
>- To generate a Fortran Project seems to work fine. The only thing
>missing is a Fortran template file (Few comment lines in Fortran
>referring to the author of the project as well as the GPL licence (cf
>C++ template files))

You can edit the templates, and store then with your project.
So you can do your own special templates, with all the things you need
and then reuse them.

>- There is no function to delete a complete Project in Gideon. I had to
>use a terminal to do it. I think this is a missing function, probably
>very simple to add.

This one is for Roberto ;)

>- To open a project: When I use the menu "open project", I need to find
>the xxx.kdevelop file by myself, by digging into the project directory.
>This is something that caused me troubles. At the beginning I thought
>that to specify the project's directory was sufficient, that Gideon
>would by itself look inside the directory to find the file it was
>needing.

It can not do that, what if you had more than one .kdevelop file in the
directory, which one would it choose?
The solution is that you have to do it by hand. Besides that if you had
a look at the dialog you
 would see that in the file filter, tha dialog is looking for *.kdevelop
files and not directories.
The interface man-machine is correct and explict.

> Then I got an error message complaining about XML and an
>unexpected end of file command. First I thought it was a bug before I
>realized that I had to pick up by myself the xxx.develop file.
>I think things could be improved here, in a pure Man-Machine interface
>point of view. To open a project in my opinion is not to open a project
>description file.
>
>2) Fortran mode
>- When looking on the source tree, I clicked on the test.f file (my
>fortran "hello" program), no editor opened automatically. When I clicked
>a menu came where I had to choose by myself a program to use to open the
>file within a list of KDE applications. Well, I just wanted to open the
>file in the big area reserved for this on the right part of the gideon
>window... Nothing more...
>- I tried the same with a C++ project and the file opened but on the
>lower part of the gideon window, not on the big area dedicated to this
>on the right.
>I am sorry for the bad description of what I saw but I lack vocabulary
>in English to describe it in a better way.
>
>In any cases, I wonder if what I am seeing now is not a bug. In the
>previous releases of Kdevelop, the file where always opened correctly in
>an editor placed on the largest free area (on the right) of Kdevelop.

No, it's not a kdevelop bug, it's a KDE bug, KDE doesn't know what .f,
.f77, .for, .ftn ... are,
so you need to explain KDE that these files are  "text/x-fortran" like
Roberto said.
Then KDE will know that they can be opened in a normal text editor, and
gess what,
kdevelop is a text editor :)

Hope this helps you, if you find any other bug or have more questions,
don't hesitate to ask.

--
Amilcar Lucas