Gideon cvs 28/3/2003. Fortran mode and Project notion

Amilcar Lucas amilcar at ida.ing.tu-bs.de
Sun Mar 30 04:36:05 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Tourde" <daniel.tourde at bredband.net>
To: <kdevelop-devel at kdevelop.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 12:22 AM
Subject: Re: Gideon cvs 28/3/2003. Fortran mode and Project notion

> Hello Amilcar,
>
> Thanks for your answer. I have few questions still regarding your
> answers.
>

> > >- To open a project: When I use the menu "open project", I need to find
> > >the xxx.kdevelop file by myself, by digging into the project directory.
> > >This is something that caused me troubles. At the beginning I thought
> > >that to specify the project's directory was sufficient, that Gideon
> > >would by itself look inside the directory to find the file it was
> > >needing.
> > >
> > It can not do that, what if you had more than one .kdevelop file in the
> > directory, which one would it choose?
>
> Is it possible to have several .kdevelop file within a single project
> directory?
> What's the use of this? I thought it was one .kdevelop file per project.

No, you should not have more then one project file, but nothing is
impossible,
what would happen if you acidentatly copyed/moved a .kdevelop file
to the same directory where some other project resides.

> > The solution is that you have to do it by hand. Besides that if you had
> > a look at the dialog you
> >  would see that in the file filter, tha dialog is looking for *.kdevelop
> > files and not directories.
>
> I saw that but somehow it did not ring a bell to me. I know, this sounds
> weird, but that's the way things happened.
> I saw my project directories and for me that was enough. I clicked on
> the directory considering that it was the project by itself. After few
> unsuccessful iterations I realized that I have to open these directories
> and search the .kdevelop file. As I said, I am surprised to learn that
> it's possible to have several .kdevelop within a project directory.

Like I said that can only happen acidentaly

> > The interface man-machine is correct and explict.
>
> Well, as a newbye it confused me...
>

> > >2) Fortran mode
> > >- When looking on the source tree, I clicked on the test.f file (my
> > >fortran "hello" program), no editor opened automatically. When I
clicked
> > >a menu came where I had to choose by myself a program to use to open
the
> > >file within a list of KDE applications. Well, I just wanted to open the
> > >file in the big area reserved for this on the right part of the gideon
> > >window... Nothing more...
> > >- I tried the same with a C++ project and the file opened but on the
> > >lower part of the gideon window, not on the big area dedicated to this
> > >on the right.
> > >
> > >In any cases, I wonder if what I am seeing now is not a bug. In the
> > >previous releases of Kdevelop, the file where always opened correctly
in
> > >an editor placed on the largest free area (on the right) of Kdevelop.
> > >

> > No, it's not a kdevelop bug, it's a KDE bug, KDE doesn't know what .f,
> > .f77, .for, .ftn ... are,
> > so you need to explain KDE that these files are  "text/x-fortran" like
> > Roberto said.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to Kdevelop to check such things and then to
> present a window asking the user if he wants to associate the .f file to
> any particular editor and this, in a comprehensive way?
> I did not understand what happened and I was far away to make the
> connection with KControl / File Associations and the mimetype
> "text/x-fortran".
> As I wrote, I had also troubles with C++ files. I did not open any
> editor in the large area dedicated to it. I wonder then if this is not a
> bug.

I'll take a look at it, but I don't think it's possible to do the file
associations
automaticaly but I'm not a KDE expert. Falk can you answer this one?

> > Then KDE will know that they can be opened in a normal text editor, and
> > gess what,
> > kdevelop is a text editor :)
>
> What do you mean? Does it use an external editor or does it contain its
> own? If it contains its own editor, why then not associate the .f format
> to it temporarily?

It's a bit more complicated KDevelop has editor plugins. As far as I know
you can use kate, qeditor or nedit INSIDE kdevelop. So, KDevelop is not
a file editor but includes them inside. So if you do the file associations
it iwill work.

> > Hope this helps you, if you find any other bug or have more questions,
> > don't hesitate to ask.
>
> Thanks... As you see, I did.... :)

We're here to help :)
Amilcar