Fwd: Re: QT designer

Jakob Simon-Gaarde jsgaarde at tdcspace.dk
Sun Jan 26 18:56:03 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 01 January 2003 19:26, Julian Rockey wrote:
> Sorry, meant to post this to the list, not just to Caleb!

> Subject: Re: QT designer
> Date: Wednesday 01 Jan 2003 5:45 pm
> From: Julian Rockey <linux at jrockey.com>
> To: Caleb Tennis <caleb at aei-tech.com>
>
> On Tuesday 24 Dec 2002 3:13 pm, Caleb Tennis wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 December 2002 09:55, Julian Rockey wrote:
> > > On a related topic, from what I can see QT designer cannot be started
> > > with a specific .ui file - i.e. I can't do "designer myform.ui".
> > > Doesn't this
> >
> > "designer filename.ui" works just fine for me.  The only dilemma is if
> > your .ui file has bad XML.  The QMake project manager for KDevelop uses
> > this scheme, and I use it all of the time from the command prompt.
>
> Yes, I'm not sure how I got that wrong! :-) However designer still doesn't
> like accepting a *non-existant* .ui file as a parameter (ignores it) which
> makes it a bit messy IMHO when adding a .ui file to the project, as once
> the new form is created you have to Save as..., find the right place in the
> project tree and re-type the name in. And if you don't save it you end up
> with the .ui file in your Makefile.am but no .ui file created.
>
> When defining a project, how about a "Created by external program"
> definition for specified file types, which tells the automake part (or
> whatever) to kick off the required program and not to add the created file
> until it is actually saved?
>
> At any rate it would be nice to have more control over the KDevelop<->QT
> designer interaction somehow - more of the "I" in "IDE"..
>
> Or am I missing something?

I know what you are talking about. I'm afraid there is not much I can do about
it since it is designer that has the bad attitiude. It would be nice if
designer just would save to the filename passed on to it. But it just seems
to ignore it if the XML couldn't be read.

--
Med venlig hilsen /
Best regards

Jakob Simon-Gaarde