Fwd: Re: QT designer

Julian Rockey linux at jrockey.com
Wed Jan 1 19:31:02 UTC 2003

Sorry, meant to post this to the list, not just to Caleb!

Subject: Re: QT designer
Date: Wednesday 01 Jan 2003 5:45 pm
From: Julian Rockey <linux at jrockey.com>
To: Caleb Tennis <caleb at aei-tech.com>

On Tuesday 24 Dec 2002 3:13 pm, Caleb Tennis wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 December 2002 09:55, Julian Rockey wrote:
> > On a related topic, from what I can see QT designer cannot be started
> > with a specific .ui file - i.e. I can't do "designer myform.ui". Doesn't
> > this
>
> "designer filename.ui" works just fine for me.  The only dilemma is if your
> .ui file has bad XML.  The QMake project manager for KDevelop uses this
> scheme, and I use it all of the time from the command prompt.

Yes, I'm not sure how I got that wrong! :-) However designer still doesn't
like accepting a *non-existant* .ui file as a parameter (ignores it) which
makes it a bit messy IMHO when adding a .ui file to the project, as once the
new form is created you have to Save as..., find the right place in the
project tree and re-type the name in. And if you don't save it you end up
with the .ui file in your Makefile.am but no .ui file created.

When defining a project, how about a "Created by external program" definition
for specified file types, which tells the automake part (or whatever) to kick
off the required program and not to add the created file until it is actually
saved?

At any rate it would be nice to have more control over the KDevelop<->QT
designer interaction somehow - more of the "I" in "IDE"..

Or am I missing something?

cheers
Julian