newbie wanting to contribute but no idea where to start

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Sun Oct 20 19:13:05 UTC 2002

Hi,

On Sunday 20 October 2002 18:45, Paul Drummond wrote:
> I am an experienced C++ developer and I have always wanted to
> contribute to an open source project but never got round to it until
> I tried out GIDEON alpha - It's exactly the type of project I want to
> contribute to.
>
> Any how, I have no idea how an open source project works.  I have
> been studying the source code but there is a lot there and I would like
> to focus on one area and contribute a small modification to get the
> hang of it all.  Are there any small tasks that need doing which would
> help me get started learning the application??  I have load of ideas
> but feel they are to major for me at the moment so I need to start small
> and work my way into KDevelop.

just pick something from bugs.kde.org or some small stuff that annoys you, fix
it and send a patch to this list.

> I am also intrigued to know who is currently doing what... This mailing
> list is quite sparse at the moment - is there a web page or something
> that shows what people are working on, what's been finished and what's
> not been started yet?  I have looked at the TODO page on the KDevelop
> site but its a bit out of date isn't it???? :)

Just take a look at the CVS archives and the commit messages :) I always use
the newsserver news.uslinuxtraining.com (newsgroup k.k.kdevelop) to review
the CVS changes.

The longer you work with gideon, the more you'll see where there is room for
improvement :)

> Anyway, I hope I can help improve this already excellent IDE - cheers

thanks, all help is appreciated.

Best regards,
Harry