team interview

Fabio Fracassi turiya at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 23 19:56:02 UTC 2002

On Thursday 23 May 2002 14:22, Marcus Gruendler wrote:
> On Thursday 23 May 2002 00:35, falk.brettschneider at gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Philippe FREMY wrote:
> > >- What editors are available with kdevelop ? any plan for future ?
> >
> > Well, I know many of the KDE hackers avoid KDevelop because they miss
> > the Emacs editor.

Yes, like me ;) (Well I don't realy Avoid Kdevelop, but for daily programming
I use XEmacs)

> > We've got the KWrite, Kate, NEdit and QEditor
> > integration in Gideon but the actual killer feature would be the Emacs
> > integration. Unfortunately, we haven't found someone able and willing to
> > implement that interface. Philippe, maybe you can do some advertisment
> > for that job. ;-)

Ralph has already Done a great deal at the Cebit this year, and got me to at
least subscribe to this list. :)
I'd like to take the job, but I'm a bit lost as where to start (but I didn't
really try to hard either)
From what I gather a good integration would be a rather hard task, that would
include a great deal of ELisp hacking, which would be quite a challange.

> Maybe I could start some investigation on this issue again. But I think I
> will need some help, because I'm not very familiar with the document/view
> model and how to map this concept to emacs'es buffers.

Can I get your work somewhere, I'd like to have a look, I think that would be
a start, but I think we would need to modify the Keyboard handling of Emacs,
too.
All in all it would probably result in a kind of C(++) Language binding for
emacs, so that we could control it. (Or we go the other way round and include
a Lisp interpreter in Kdevelop)
It might be that I'm makeing things more complicated than they are.

I also see some Problems that Emacs edit modes could collide with the Kdevelop
Parts. (For example the Syntax Highlighting.)

The question I've asked myself if it is realy worth the trouble, or if it
would be easier to write a (or modify an existing) editor Part, to behave
simmilar to Emacs. (Well the parts I miss most when using other editors is
the Copy&Paste behaviour, and all the nifty editing helps, which come in
handy very often, like Case-changing, or diff-frontends)

I hope I made some sence.

I'm realy Interessted in this "Project", but I think I have to little
experience (and even less time :( ) in both, Kdevelop and Emacs code, to take
the lead in it, but I would be happy to give anybody a hand whenever I can.

Fabio