team interview

Bernd Gehrmann Bernd-Gehrmann at gmx.de
Wed May 29 09:23:38 UTC 2002

On Thursday 23 May 2002 14:22, you wrote:
> Maybe I could start some investigation on this issue again. But I think I
> will need some help, because I'm not very familiar with the document/view
> model and how to map this concept to emacs'es buffers.

The document/view separation is purely theoretical at the moment,
as there is no editor implementation that does multiple views per
document with a non-broken part activation. But that doesn't really
matter for most of the Gideon code, as one is usually interested only
in the the active widget, not the other ones.

I don't think you can map emacs buffers to a proper KTextEditor
implementation. In principle, any ELisp function (and therefore any
key press) can lead to a change of the active buffer. So any part
that depends on the activePartChanged() signal will not really work.
(unless you go down to the core of emacs to emit it). Of course,
you can still try to implement a minimal editor interface that allows
to edit files, go to a certain line number etc. Depends on where you
are willing to compromise.

Bernd.