team interview

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Thu May 16 19:33:06 UTC 2002

Well thanks for the interest, this is going to be a great interview and
good publicity for our project.

--- Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY at OBERTHURCS.com> wrote:

> Ok, here is the next set of questions :-)
>
> - For what platforms can you use kdevelop ? With which toolkit ?

I have used it on Linux, Solaris SPARC and SOLARIS X86.
I have used it with Qt and proprietary toolkits. You can use KDevelop
to develop with all known toolkits that make sense and are available
from compiled languages (C,C++,Fortran). Gideon allows you to develop
in scripting languages Python Perl, Java, you name it.

> - What are the available templates ?
> - Can you create koffice applications for koffice-head ?
> - Can you develop libraries as well as application ?

Yes, but there are some gotchas in the current stable version,
the development version is going to have more flexibility here.

> - Can we create styles with kdevelop ? like the liquid one or others.
> - Could kdevelop be used for kde  ? i mean, could we create a
> kdevelop
> project
> file to handle kdelibs for example ?

Yes, and in fact it should, any project where the developers dont use
the tools they develop is ulimately doomed to fail.

> - ask them about code completion twice, it'd be great to have that
> feature
> ;)

It does. Works in a failry restricted manner currently but it will
improve.

> - there is a kapptemplate generator in kdesdk, do you use that ?

No, but we should probably.

> Is
> kdevelop's
>   template generator usable separetely from kdevelop ?

Yes.

> Do you think
> it would
>   make sense ?
> - Can you generate .pro files, for qmake/tmake based projects ?

Yes, gideon has a plugin that can at least read .pro files.

> - Is it possible to generate a project with KDevelop and work on it
> manually
>   after that ?

Yes.

 Are the Makefile readable ?

Yes, they are generated by automake, but they are ASCII so you can read
them if you like, they are very hard to understand though.

> I remember the first
> KDevelop
>   makefiles being ugly.
> - Is it possible to use KDevelop as a source browser ?

Yes. This works very well, install exuberant ctags then generate and
load a tags file and you can quickly jump to declarations and
definitions. (Shameless plug, he he)

> - Is it easy to import an existing project into KDevelop ?

That depends, the closer it is to the standard automake autoconf
structure the better it is. In gideon it is _very_ easy to import all
kinds of projects.

> - Have you had support from other toolkits, projects or people to
> help
>   KDevelop ?

No. This is a KDE project. Lot's of people have contributed small
things and some people have contributed a lot.

Roland