A common roadmap

Matthias Hölzer-Klüpfel mhk at kde.org
Sat Mar 30 08:25:07 UTC 2002

On Friday 29 March 2002 20:56, jbb wrote:

> Matthias, the UI you have just committed is interesting. Overall, I like
> it. I don't like the way the expanded tabs hide the editor. Is that
> deliberate or a work in progress?

It is work in progress. (In case people like it enough that it makes sense to
contiue it as an alternative to QextMdi).

At the moment, the best thing is to look at IDEA (www.intellij.com). In IDEA,
you can make the tabs sticky, so the get a splitter next to the editor. And
the tabs automatically close when you selected something. (I have added that
yesterday, but forgot to commit some changes. Now it should work).

The nice thing about the tabs that hide the editor is that you get maximum
screen space for the editor, which is very usefull on small screens (like my
laptop ;)

> I don't think there is a common roadmap. As I've said before there are two
> streams of development, the stable kdevelop 2 branch and the experimental
> gideon branch. All we need to decide is what should be in the HEAD and what
> in a branch. To keep people happy lets change HEAD to be kdevelop2 and put
> gideon on a branch.

Just a technical question: Can this be done without loosing information on the
CVS server?

> My opinion is that if the developers started looking into gideon and fixed
> things rather than agrue then we would have a very good multi-language ide
> quite quickly.

Exactly my opinion.

> And on that note I'll better go see what I can do about
> getting the debugger to work nicely in gideon this weekend.

Great!

Bye,
Matthias.