A common roadmap

jbb jbb at kdevelop.org
Fri Mar 29 20:53:04 UTC 2002

Hi,

Like Roland, I thought that gideon was "not there". Yesterday, I finished
compiling the latest gideon and gave it a bit of a spin. It is _much_ further
along that these conversations suggest. There are a lot of rough spots, but
it's almost in a position that it could be used as an ide to develop itself,
and in some areas it is much further along that kdevelop2.

Matthias, the UI you have just committed is interesting. Overall, I like it. I
don't like the way the expanded tabs hide the editor. Is that deliberate or a
work in progress?

I don't think there is a common roadmap. As I've said before there are two
streams of development, the stable kdevelop 2 branch and the experimental
gideon branch. All we need to decide is what should be in the HEAD and what
in a branch. To keep people happy lets change HEAD to be kdevelop2 and put
gideon on a branch.

Roland, you keep pushing for kdevelop2 as the only version. There is more that
one way to do an ide, so please stop doing this. Your roadmap is a good plan
for the kdevelop2 branch only. For the gideon branch the ui and usability
issues need to be addressed.

My opinion is that if the developers started looking into gideon and fixed
things rather than agrue then we would have a very good multi-language ide
quite quickly. And on that note I'll better go see what I can do about
getting the debugger to work nicely in gideon this weekend.

Have fun,

jbb