The day of reunification is here (was Re: The day of seperation is here)

Christian Couder christian at kdevelop.org
Wed Mar 27 23:21:02 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 27 March 2002 15:16, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 March 2002 :01, Roland Krause wrote:
> > Ooops, very sorry for sending the last email.
> > I hit the browser send button, and feel like the fool I am right now.
> >
> > Anyway, friends, the day of seperation is here, lets get it over now.
> >
> > A fork can no longer be prevented.
> >
> > We have two possibilities.
> >
> > 1 Rename gideon to KDevelop, and move KDevelop under a new name to
> > kdenonbeta. The name I like to suggest is Kollide.
> >
> > 2 Move gideon to kdenonbeta and leave its name.
>
> Why not put gideon in a subdirectory of the non-gideon kdevelop and make
> this combined code the only kdevelop branch? This would allow to identify
> duplicated code, move common code to libraries or parts and work towards
> merging the two flavours of KDevelop.

Hi everybody,

I agree with this proposal. I think there are now a lot of common parts that
can be improved and benefit to both branches of KDevelop, thanks to many of
you guys. So it would be stupid to keep separate branches because it would
mean many merges back and forth for a long time.

On the other hand, as Cornelius said, if we get one HEAD branch, it will
simplify things a lot and it will make it possible to merge (once and for
all) and then improve a lot of good code.

I don't know if a full of merge of KDevelop and Gideon will be possible, but
I don't care much about such a merge or not. If people find different needs
for these applications then fine, let there be two apps that share as much as
possible. If people find that they can integrate all the KDevelop and Gideon
features in a unique IDE then it's great two.

If I dared I would also propose to put KDevelop and Gideon in the kdesdk
directory, because I think we should also try in KDevelop and Gideon to use
as much as possible, as KParts, the code from there.

Bye,
Christian.