The day of seperation is here

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Mar 27 15:18:05 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 :01, Roland Krause wrote:
> Ooops, very sorry for sending the last email.
> I hit the browser send button, and feel like the fool I am right now.
>
> Anyway, friends, the day of seperation is here, lets get it over now.
>
> A fork can no longer be prevented.
>
> We have two possibilities.
>
> 1 Rename gideon to KDevelop, and move KDevelop under a new name to
> kdenonbeta. The name I like to suggest is Kollide.
>
> 2 Move gideon to kdenonbeta and leave its name.

Why not put gideon in a subdirectory of the non-gideon kdevelop and make this
combined code the only kdevelop branch? This would allow to identify
duplicated code, move common code to libraries or parts and work towards
merging the two flavours of KDevelop.

I'm not an active KDevelop developer, so my vote doesn't count, but I have to
say that one of the reasons why I'm not more active is that the developers
are separated in the gideon and the non-gideon fractions. I like the
architecture of gideon and I like the stability of the traditional kdevelop.
If both would share the same codebase this would be a good reason to actually
contribute to the project.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher.kde.org>