Multilingual make patch

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Tue Mar 26 16:21:02 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:46:39PM +0100, Harald Fernengel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Eeek, copy&paste from make.po? And who's going to update kdevelop
> > when a new make translations get added? ;)
>
> Well, since we are the leading Development Environment on Unix we can surely
> misuse our domination to force the make guys to keep their translation
> strings for the next 400 years ;)
>
> Anyways, if translations get changed, our system gets messed, with or without
> my patch...
>
> > Why not just regexp'ify for "blah `<directory here>'" ?
>
> Korean translation has "blah `<dir>' blah" so it would fail ;)
>
> Make is spitting out a lot of messages so we would either capture too much or
> too little. Besides, the quotation marks aren't hard-coded, so it could be <<
> >> as well as a mixture of ` and '. We also don't want to capture messages
> like "you did something stupid in `blah'".
>
> Besides, the last "make" tarball is now 2 years old, so I don't think we'll be
> running after a moving target ;)

Right, my concern about changing messages in make might not be that
realistic. But the actual point behind it is valid I think: It's a
godawful hack.

If you really have to hardcode things, then I think it's much better
to hardcode the characters possible for separating the directory
from the surrounding enter/leave message and test multiple regular
expressions against the make output. BTW, when does make output
"you did foo in `blah'" without meaning a directory change?

Anything like that is better than doing copy&paste of translated
messages with different encodings into a us-ascii encoded .cpp file,
making it not work for non-latin1 messages.

Another option would be to run make in an environment with LANG=C ,
explicitly disabling localized messages. Actually I think that's
the easiest ;)

Simon