Multilingual make patch

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Tue Mar 26 13:56:03 UTC 2002

Hi,

> Eeek, copy&paste from make.po? And who's going to update kdevelop
> when a new make translations get added? ;)

Well, since we are the leading Development Environment on Unix we can surely
misuse our domination to force the make guys to keep their translation
strings for the next 400 years ;)

Anyways, if translations get changed, our system gets messed, with or without
my patch...

> Why not just regexp'ify for "blah `<directory here>'" ?

Korean translation has "blah `<dir>' blah" so it would fail ;)

Make is spitting out a lot of messages so we would either capture too much or
too little. Besides, the quotation marks aren't hard-coded, so it could be <<
>> as well as a mixture of ` and '. We also don't want to capture messages
like "you did something stupid in `blah'".

Besides, the last "make" tarball is now 2 years old, so I don't think we'll be
running after a moving target ;)

The alternative would be to make the strings conigurable or read them out of
the .mo files, but that's something for the next version :)

Best regards,
Harry