Multilingual make patch

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Tue Mar 26 16:53:05 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 16:20, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> Right, my concern about changing messages in make might not be that
> realistic. But the actual point behind it is valid I think: It's a
> godawful hack.

Glad to hear ;)

> If you really have to hardcode things, then I think it's much better
> to hardcode the characters possible for separating the directory
> from the surrounding enter/leave message and test multiple regular
> expressions against the make output. BTW, when does make output
> "you did foo in `blah'" without meaning a directory change?

I looked through the .po files of make and saw a lot of things like...

Insufficient number of arguments to function `%s'
Unimplemented on this platform: function `%s'
Trying pattern rule with stem `%s'

as I said, it is very difficult to find a regexp that only isolates directory
change messages in all locales. I agree that hard-coding strings is rather
stupid, but it works as a temporary hack ;) I can insert the non-latin1
characters as ushort array into the source code so we can say we only support
Utf8-output...

> Another option would be to run make in an environment with LANG=C ,
> explicitly disabling localized messages. Actually I think that's
> the easiest ;)

I fear this will trigger 100s of side-effects...

Best regards,
Harry