[kvim-dev] RE: team interview

Philippe FREMY P.FREMY at OBERTHURCS.com
Mon Jun 17 17:06:34 UTC 2002

> > > I think the TextEditor interface should have the concept of the
> > > multi-document single window editor. Most editors work like that and
the
> > > multi-window single document or multi-document is more or less a new
> > > concept with few editors implementing it.
> >
> > fully agreed :)
> > that would help a lot with vim and probably other editors
>

> I don't agree. This isn't a good idea at all. See my suggestion below.

And I maintain my point.

> > > Most people, from what I have seen, use their IDE with one editor
window
> > > only, switching between buffers. If you base KDevelop around this
common
> > > concept, it will be far easier to integrate editors and will avoid the
> > > one process per edited file issue.
> >
> > I have an idea to do this, but I'm not sure if it will work or not. So I
> > have to test first.
> > That would allow us to have only one Vim process and to use Vim buffers
> > directly. I'm just not sure if the kparts ktexteditor will make it work
> > (using the same widget for all views for example) ;)
> >

> Any decent editor must be able to manage multiple views and multiple
> documents. Just because vim can't do it doesn't mean it's not
> the right way.

I agree that vim should be better. Unforunately, I can not change it.

Now if we look at it from a pragmatic point of view, KDevelop has only three
available editors right now: kate, nedit and kvim. Probably half of the geek
population is using vim. It looks to me like an important editor to
consider.

> An editor that does have a good notion of GUI can work differently by
opening
> multiple frames

Unfortunately, vim does not have a good notion of GUI. Its author, Bram,
does not even run X!

And the concept of multiple windows on the same document is quite recent.
Yes, new editors have it, but plenty of not-so-modern applications runs in
single doc/single window and they are still very good. Having multiple
windows on the same doc is a nice feature, sometimes useful, but not a core
thing you can not live without.

All the people I have seen use their IDE in a single window/multiple doc
mode. This means we are putting a big burden on the editor part for a
feature that is rarely used.

	PHilippe