[kvim-dev] RE: team interview

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Mon Jun 17 22:52:04 UTC 2002

> opening
>
> > multiple frames
>
> Unfortunately, vim does not have a good notion of GUI. Its author, Bram,
> does not even run X!
>
> And the concept of multiple windows on the same document is quite recent.
> Yes, new editors have it, but plenty of not-so-modern applications runs in
> single doc/single window and they are still very good. Having multiple
> windows on the same doc is a nice feature, sometimes useful, but not a core
> thing you can not live without.
>
> All the people I have seen use their IDE in a single window/multiple doc
> mode. This means we are putting a big burden on the editor part for a
> feature that is rarely used.

But why should we break the "clean" document/view seperation (which is even
weaker than the Model-View-Controller seperation we "could" have chosen) only
to support editors which were never thought to be used under X with a "real" GUI ?
Even Gtk+ 2.0's default editor widget supports doc/view model (and even more), qt does it
(but hides it for the public mostly :/, emacs should be able to do it (which is the "hell editor" out
there), gtkextext does it, think scintilla does it to, don't be sure on the last.

I like the KVim stuff, as it brings a good console editor to the kde community (and more), but
I won't step away of the doc/view model just because of one editor.

cu
Christoph