Do not hack in KDevelop's Makefile.am files!

F@lk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 17:16:02 UTC 2002

"W. Tasin" wrote:

> Hi Falk,
>
> F at lk Brettschneider wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've updated kdevelop.kdevprj.save.
> >Everybody, please, do a
> >
> >  cp kdevelop.kdevprj.save kdevelop.kdevprj
> >
> >load it in your KDevelop and regenerate your KDevelop project by
> >"Project"-->"DistClean/Rebuild All"!
> >
> >This is necessary because some people committed Makefile.am files to cvs
> >which they manually hacked within the "....KDevelop will overwrite..."
> >sections.
> >
> >Please don't do that because KDevelop is a project managed by itself and
> >not by manual hacking in Makefile.am stuff.
> >
> 1) why is this now called kdevelop.kdevprj.save?
kdevelop.kdevprj.save has been in CVS since ages. :-)
It is the official master of all kdevelop.kdevprj.
Actually a kdevelop.kdevprj should be in CVS but we just put the .save
file there to avoid possible CVS conflicts on cvs update.

>      This would mean:
>          cp kdevelop.kdevprj.save kdevelop.kdevprj
>          Include the files within KDevelop
>          cp kdevelop.kdevprj kdevelop.kdevprj.save
>          cvs com kdevelop.kdevprj.save
Exactly. Everyone who commits kdevelop.kdevprj.save has to ensure it's a
common clean file free of personal local settings. For instance -j20 or
such things...

> 2) Is "Project" -> "DistClean/Rebuild All" regenerating the kdevprj file
> from Makefile.am???
No it regenerates the Makefile.am's from kdevelop.kdevprj

> Sorry if I caused problems,
No worries.

> I thought because of "kdevelop.kdevprj.save"
> everyone uses his own kdevelop.kdevprj and is responsible for it.
Yes. But the Makefile.am's in CVS have to be generated from the master
kdevelop.kdevprj to proove the theory that KDevelop is able to handle
complex Makefile.am projects.

> Anyway I will remember... sorry again.
Once I did that wrong too and was beaten by John Birch. ;-)

Ciao,F at lk