Do not hack in KDevelop's Makefile.am files!

jbb jbb at kdevelop.org
Sat Feb 23 06:42:03 UTC 2002

> Once I did that wrong too and was beaten by John Birch. ;-)

Some history...

We once had the kdevelop.kdevprj in cvs, but at the time the kconfig kept
re-writing the entries in a different order. This caused it to be corrupted
as people committed the "changed" project file with the cvs conflicts in. Not
suprisingly, people stopped keeping it upto date. sigh...

For kdevelop2 I removed the kdevelop.kdevprj and added a clean and complete
kdevelop.kdevprj.save file.

Since that time, kconfig doesn't do this re-ordering, so the problem isn't so
bad. Also Falk has split the kdevelop settings into project and system files.
But that still leaves some problems like the configure setting --enable-debug
for kde2 vs --enable-debug=full for kde3 and other differences being written
into the project file.

At the moment I don't see an easy way of sharing the kdevelop.kdeprj in cvs
without the .save approach _and_ people being careful with that file. We
should always make sure that kdevelop can deal with it's own Makefiles via
it's project file. It'll doesn't look good if it can't.

Falk, my apoligies for "beating" you. Was I stressed at the time with the
release of kdevelop2? I guess I owe you a beer or two then :-))

jbb