Kate Part for KDevelop

Harald Fernengel harry at kdevelop.org
Sat Feb 9 22:52:04 UTC 2002

Hi,

> Can anybody explain me the background of all those editor approaches?
> There is Kate, Kateinterface, Katepart, Simple-Editor, KTextEditor,
> gideon/lib/interfaces/keditor, KWrite-Part. What is what? What is hot
> and what is not? Who does want what? I'm quite confused. Please, help.
>
> Actually, I think, now KDE3 provides an editor interface in kdelibs/kate
> and KDevelop should use that. Roland already tried to do that in his
> experimental KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH.

KTextEditor is KDE's generic interface for editors. Gideon has its own
"KEditor" interface and kwrite-part, nedit-part and so on are wrappers around
this interface.

IMHO all KDE applications should use the new KTextEditor interface and so I'm
trying to remove Gideon's old interface (and slowly going nuts by doing
so)...

Kate is the first (and only??) Editor that implements the new KTextEditor
interface, the goal should be to port Gideon's parts also to the KTextEditor
interface, so that all KDE applications can use NEdit, QEdit and so on as
(optional) Editors.

Best Regards,
Harry