Kate Part for KDevelop

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Sat Feb 9 23:08:04 UTC 2002

On Saturday 09 February 2002 22:49, Harald Fernengel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Can anybody explain me the background of all those editor approaches?
> > There is Kate, Kateinterface, Katepart, Simple-Editor, KTextEditor,
> > gideon/lib/interfaces/keditor, KWrite-Part. What is what? What is hot
> > and what is not? Who does want what? I'm quite confused. Please, help.
> >
> > Actually, I think, now KDE3 provides an editor interface in kdelibs/kate
> > and KDevelop should use that. Roland already tried to do that in his
> > experimental KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH.
>
> KTextEditor is KDE's generic interface for editors. Gideon has its own
> "KEditor" interface and kwrite-part, nedit-part and so on are wrappers
> around this interface.
>
> IMHO all KDE applications should use the new KTextEditor interface and so
> I'm trying to remove Gideon's old interface (and slowly going nuts by doing
> so)...
>
> Kate is the first (and only??) Editor that implements the new KTextEditor
> interface, the goal should be to port Gideon's parts also to the
> KTextEditor interface, so that all KDE applications can use NEdit, QEdit
> and so on as (optional) Editors.
That should be the way to go. KTextEditor should be the main interface for
texteditor in use by kde, the kate interfaces in kdelibs/kate are mostly a
wrapper for the plugins of kate and the kate app around ktexteditor + some
implementation specific stuff.

For your question about the debug interface of keditor: create a debug
interface for ktexteditor and I will implement it in kate part (better: I
will steal the code from your kwrite copy ;)

cu
Christoph