Kate Part for KDevelop

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 22:40:05 UTC 2002

Hi,

Harald Fernengel wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm just trying to convert Gideon to use KDE's KTextEditor stuff, so please
>don't add a Kate part for Gideon because if I succeed it will become obsolete
>very soon ;)
>
>The only trouble I have so far is the debugging stuff that will be lost...
>
>Is there any good method like... "Take the KTextEditor part, look whether
>there is a Gideon Debug extension part for it and use both together"...?
>
>Best Regards,
>Harry
>
>>Hi,
>>as there seems to be no real work going on for a editor part for kdevelop
>>HEAD which uses the kate part, I will start creating one tomorrow. It will
>>use the kate interfaces.

Can anybody explain me the background of all those editor approaches?
There is Kate, Kateinterface, Katepart, Simple-Editor, KTextEditor,
gideon/lib/interfaces/keditor, KWrite-Part. What is what? What is hot
and what is not? Who does want what? I'm quite confused. Please, help.

Actually, I think, now KDE3 provides an editor interface in kdelibs/kate
and KDevelop should use that. Roland already tried to do that in his
experimental KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH.

Ciao,F at lk